Gate only operates on Mains supply

JCA

Gate only operates on Mains supply

Post by JCA » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:26 pm

My gate motor only operates on the mains supply. I have put in a new battery but as soon as the power goes off, no gate operation. Is there fuse on the pc board that may have blown?

G.Mitchell
Site Admin

Re: Gate only operates on Mains supply

Post by G.Mitchell » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:28 am

You don't say what type of motor it is. Some of the older types have a mains / battery change over relay that can get stuck in the mains position. Also check that the battery is charging.

JCA

Post by JCA » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:32 pm

Hello Gavin, here is photo of my control card. approx. 1 year old.
DTS Control Card.JPG
DTS Control Card.JPG (149.9 KiB) Viewed 497 times
I see there is 25A fuse on one side but would think that if that had blown, the motor would not work at all. Any ideas on the likely failure would be appreciated.

G.Mitchell
Site Admin

Post by G.Mitchell » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:56 pm

This is a SL100 PCB. Its a low access type and can only run on battery. The battery connects directly to the motor speed control circuit on the PCB. The battery is continuously charged from a small mains transformer which is not big enough to drive the motor directly. When the mains power goes off the battery continues to power the motor until its voltage has dropped below +- 9.5V at this point a circuit completely disconnects the controller / motor from the batter thus preventing a deep discharge condition which would damage the battery. When the mains power is restored the battery starts charging and everything operates normally.
If a good battery is disconnected from the PCB with no mains supply the controller sees the voltage drop below 9.5V and unlatches the battery / motor circuit. If the good battery is then reconnected to the PCB with no mains supply then the unlatched circuit is still in effect until the mains power is restored or the circuit is manually latched by pressing the TEST/SET push button.
If your motor runs with mains power on then it is actually running off the battery and will continue to run without mains power until the battery voltage drops below 9.5V. I think that what you are describing is not a fault but part of the battery protection system.
Also note that this controller is designed for very low standby current when running on battery and will go into sleep mode 2 minutes after the last activation. In this mode only the remote receiver remains on.

JCA

Post by JCA » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:47 am

Good morning Gavin,
I have tested the battery and the system by pressing the Test/Set button. Then it works. However as soon as I disconnect the power supply, the motor won't work from the remote. The battery voltage is about 11.5 v measured when the motor is running. Nearer 14 when the power is on. 16VAC supply. Is there anything else I can try before paying you a visit? If the board needs to be replaced, is there an agent/dealer on or near Roodepoort?
Best regards,

John Attwell

CHANTELLE

Post by CHANTELLE » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:56 am

Good morning John

Could you please advise me if you are using the on-board receiver or do you use an external receiver.

JCA

Post by JCA » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:33 am

Good morning Chantelle,
I am using an external receiver.

Best regards,

John Attwell

JCA

Post by JCA » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:25 pm

Hello Chantelle, Gavin,
I spoke to one of your colleagues, Christopher IIRC, at you Pretoria branch,regarding the external receiver. He advised me to move the power supply for the external receiver from the AUX terminals, directly to the Battery Supply. This seems to have done the trick. No doubt I will get to test it, courtesy of Eskom. Thank you all for your various inputs. Much appreciated.

Best regards.

John Attwell

CHANTELLE

Post by CHANTELLE » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:09 am

Morning,

It is our pleasure.

The PCB has a feature "sleep mode", when it runs on DC only the PCB goes into sleep mode to save battery power, that is why your external receiver does not want to work when the power is off. The advise Christopher gave you is correct and should solve the problem.